Museo Internazionale delle Ceramiche in Faenza

Museo Internazionale delle Ceramiche in Faenza


In 1912 the Statute of the International Museum of Ceramics in Faenza was approved by Royal Decree and included among its aims, “to gather publications in such a way as to offer scholars bibliographical material of critiques, art and ceramic technology”. 

In the years that followed the Library was enriched so greatly that in 1929 Ballardini, participating at the 1st world Congress of Libraries, defined it as a consistent foundation for Italy of study material which continued to grow.

The growth of the library suffered a sudden halt during the Second World War when, in order to preserve the Museum collections and the Library heritage, the works were moved out of the town.  Unfortunately over half of the 10,800 volumes in the collection were plundered or destroyed when the building they were in fell down.  At the same time the Museum headquarters suffered severe damage from bombing on 13th May, 1944 and the Library, along with all its furnishings, was completely destroyed.

After the war the Library was reorganised with the surviving material (almost 4,000 volumes and booklets) and the wooden furniture was rebuilt by the architect Ennio Golfieri.

Thanks to a legacy from Dr Paolo Galli and to the generous donations which arrived in the fifties, the Library was able to restore the gaps in the collections.

The blossoming of the study of ceramics in the last twenty years, the careful policy of exchange and acquisition, the activity of review and publication in the Museum magazine “Faenza”, have resulted in a consistent increase in the Library heritage with works which come from all over the world.