England, Stoke-on-Trent, c. 1770-1775, decal clay
Earthenware was introduced in Staffordshire, probably around 1740. This innovative material revolutionized the European market contributing to the renewal of the ceramic industry and starting serial productions. The tray is decorated in decalcomania with the “Corinthian ruins” ornamental motif, evoking the evocative visions of ruins from classical antiquity. The Wedgwood manufactory, the most famous in Staffordshire, mainly linked its fame to the multifaceted production of earthenware and to the beautiful “jasper” stoneware of classical taste with applied decorations in relief on coloured bodies.